Workers at Angola Telecom, the Angolan state-owned telecommunications company, complain of “impediments” to access the company and “illegal dismissals”, after suspending the strike that lasted almost 100 days, and speak of “retaliation” by the employer, a source said today. union.
“It is true, we are being prevented from entering the company because the employer intends to take revenge on the strikers by putting everyone on the street, there are more than 200 workers who are in this situation”, the union secretary general told Lusa today. of the Postal, Telecommunications and Related Workers of Luanda, Lourenço Afonso.
According to the union leader, the administration of Angola Telecom opted, since the beginning of October, for a selective return of the striking workers, with nearly 10 workers having been notified to sign dismissal documents.
Lourenço Afonso says that, after the strike, which took place between June 21 and September 30, 2022, the employer “divided” the strikers into four groups.
The first group, he explained, “is the workers who were not notified to return because the condition imposed on them is to sign the time book for a week until they are called to resume their work”.
A second group of workers “was called to resume work”, but even so, he stressed, “they are not given any task to perform, they just spend the day at the company and then return home”.
The union official also spoke of a group of striking workers transferred to other areas, an act that, in his view, “damages” the Angolan Strike Law.
“And then we have the fourth group, which are workers who are being notified to sign dismissal guides and at this point we already have 10 workers notified for this purpose. We are talking about you working for more than seven years in the company, all because you joined the strike ”, he pointed out.
After almost 100 days of stoppage, Angola Telecom employees decided to suspend the strike, after guaranteeing by the employer to raise, in a first phase, 10% of the salary against the 50% that appeared in the claim book.
“And then other phases of implementation would come, that is, and also for the strikers was the need to suspend the strike to return to work, so it happened, but to our surprise the company refuses to receive the workers”, concluded the unionist.
A source told Lusa that workers’ representatives and the administration of Angola Telecom are meeting today at the General Labor Inspectorate, in Luanda, to address the matter.
Lusa sought to contact the management of the Angolan state-owned telecommunications company, but so far has not received any response.